Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Belgian beer: Leffe Brune



Leffe Brune is a Belgian dark ale that was originally brewed in the abbey Notre Dame de Leffe which was founded in 1152 on the Meuse River. It is now brewed at the Stella Artois brewery in Leuven. Leffe Brune has a 6.5% Abv.

The Belgians, especially the Dutch/Flemish really know their beer. In addition to Leffe they produce some other really high quality tasty beers including: Chimay, Duvel, Hoegaarden, La Chouffe etc... Don't worry we will get to those but first we must return to cocktails and Spirits. All in due time.

With my beer chalice shattered, broken, I decided to try this beer in a wine glass so that I could enjoy its wonderful smell and take deep sips.

Appearance- Dark Brown, Caramel, almost black. Good head retention.

Smell- Malty, roasted, toasted, sweet, Chocolate, nutty, caramel, yeast and a hint of spice.

Taste- Sweet, bittersweet chocolate, roasted/toasted almonds.

Mouth- Creamy, Chewy, good carbonation.

Drinkability- I would definitely have another...dozen or so.

Serving type: bottle

The bottom line:

In general along with Czech and stout beers, Belgian beers are amongst my favorites!
I loved this beer. It has a very dark and heavy appearance, akin to Guinness, but is much lighter in the mouth, its smell and its taste. It has a nice bittersweet smell and flavor which I really enjoy and makes for a pleasant drink. Plus it gives a nice "buzz". I highly recommend this beer. Give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed nursing this baby.

**** (out of 5 *)

No comments: