Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Whisky wedding

Tonight I was at a wedding and there were some nice single malt whiskies going around. I tasted the only three that I was able to get my hands on: Dalwhinnie 15 yr, Glenfiddich 15 yr Solera Reserve and Glenmorangie. There were other Single malts but the eluded me the rest of the evening

Both the Dalwhinnie and Glenfiddich I had tasted before, they are excellent whiskies. They have hints of chocolate and honey sweetness and are on the delicate, light side, while Dalwhinnie is slightly more smokey.

As for the Glenmorangie, I have tried their "Port Wood" and "Cote D'Or Burgundy wood" finishes in the past, both of which I deeply enjoyed. However, the Glenmorangie I tried this evening was one I am not familiar with. I was pleasantly surprised, it was very sweet, with predominantly citrus, honey, heather flavor. At first I thought it was a Glenmorangie Whisky Liqueur, but then after drinking a bit more I realized that it wasn't. I also noticed that this whiskey felt stronger than your average 40% abv stuff. Because the lighting was lousy and the fact that someone was doling it out I was unable to see the label clearly, except for the name "Glenmorangie". The bottle itself was strange for a Glenmorangie bottle, shaped like a short stubby Chivas or Dalwhinnie bottle in brown glass like Glenfiddich's 15 yr Solera Reserve.
If anyone out there can help me identify which Glenmorangie this was I'd be very grateful :)

No comments: